Re: "State of the Union" for the port (9.3)

Hello,

On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 03:34:18 -0500
vom513 <vom513%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I had it on the SS20 a while ago, and the one thing I remember is
> that my cgfourteen/ZX is only supported at an (unaccelerated) cgthree
> level.  I assume this is still the case ?

I have a Turbo ZX - it gets ridiculously hot, acceleration doesn't
work. IIRC I go it to work as a dumb framebuffer but that's annoyingly
slow. There are far better and easier ways to get 24bit graphics on an
ss20 these days.
CG14 is a different story. We can use SX these days ( you know, the
vector processor that lives in the memory controller ), and my driver
supports basic acceleration in 8 and 24bit, with some xrender in 24bit.
It's not fast by today's standard, but still beats pure software on
anything you can stick into an ss20.
I spent some time to get 8bit acceleration working properly since some
people with 4MB CG14 would rather have 1280x1024 or more than 24bit
colour. Speed is somewhere in the middle between turbo and non-turbo
CG6 for VRAM-to-VRAM copies, image up- and downloads should be faster
since there's no SBus in the middle.

> (Upside to running Solaris on the SS20: full accel. ZX gfx support.
> Downside: Solaris :) )

We can do a bunch of xrender ops by hardware on the cg14/sx, as far as
I know nobody else can. Not even Solaris.

have fun
Michael