Re: local X server & gtk3 applications (also, netsurf in pkgsrc & pkgin w/ Dropbox)

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 07:50, Romain Dolbeau <romain%dolbeau.org@localhost> wrote:

> > So... I wonder if standard gtk3 apps require TrueColor or DirectColor visuals...
>
> From your comprehensive experiments (thanks!), I would say they very likely do.
> But maybe it's the applications rather than the library, as it seems
> gdk3 is aware of visual:
> <https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable/gdk3-Visuals.html>.

Yes! - that would most likely be it - something is getting a
PseudoColor visual back and not handling it.

Interestingly looking at netsurf-gtk3 it doesn't seem to reference
GdkVisual directly - it is calling gdk_cairo_create, and I see a
scattering of CAIRO_FORMAT_ARGB32 and CAIRO_FORMAT_RGB24 but no
references to CAIRO_FORMAT_A8 (I'm stabbing mostly in the dark here
from a quick read through).

It could be an interesting little project to try to track this down by
building a version with some debug on the cairo setup calls (given it
can be reproduced running on amd64 the build/test loop shouldn't need
to be hours long :). I'd love to have a dig, but I'm backed up with
too much other stuff :(

David
Given the issue can be reproduced on amd64