Re: local X server & gtk3 applications (also, netsurf in pkgsrc & pkgin w/ Dropbox)

Le jeu. 10 sept. 2020 à 22:45, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> a écrit :
> It can probably run qemu-sparc fast enough to five the SS20 a run for
> its money :)

Qemu on x86-64 destroys the vintage hardware for I/O, memory, etc.;
but for pure CPU, as Qemu currently lacks multi-thread support in TCG,
you only get a single ~100-120 MHZ SuperSPARC.
So if your workload is parallel and fit in the limited amount of
memory of a SS20, the SS20 isn't ridiculous...
Of course while compiling is parallel, it also does a lot of I/O and
emulation is usually faster.
At some point, even emulation is too slow; LLVM is so resource-hungry
I had to cross-compile it.

> So... I wonder if standard gtk3 apps require TrueColor or DirectColor visuals...

From your comprehensive experiments (thanks!), I would say they very likely do.
But maybe it's the applications rather than the library, as it seems
gdk3 is aware of visual:
<https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable/gdk3-Visuals.html>.

Cordially,

--