Re: local X server & gtk3 applications (also, netsurf in pkgsrc & pkgin w/ Dropbox)

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 18:33, Romain Dolbeau <romain%dolbeau.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've recompiled netsurf (anyone know of another working web browser
> for NetBSD/sparc?) from pkgsrc for my SPARCstation running NetBSD 9.
>
> But by default, the pkgsrc version uses gtk3 - and the window is empty
> on the local X server, I only get a frame. (I have a TurboGX in there,
> so I'm running 8 bits pseudocolor). IIRC, I had the same issue with
> some other gtk3 application. Is that a known issue and what would
> cause it? Some missing extension to X11? No failover from truecolor to
> pseudocolor?

As a test case does the same thing happen if you run netsurf-gtk3 from
another box back to the sparc as a X display (and similarly the sparc
binary displaying on another box) - to confirm its a "gtk3 & 8 bit"
issue rather than a "gtk3 built on 32bit sparc" problem :)

Ahh, TGX, much fun running KoboDeluxe (originally xkobo)

> Anyway I did an alternative build with gtk2, (fairly trivial patch,
> thanks pkgsrc) and that works fine. Anyone know how I can request this
> alternate version/submit a patch for it? It might be useful to other
> older platforms...

Excellent stuff!  you can use send-pr, or possibly drop an email to
pkgsrc-users (if you are send-pr-adverse :-p)

David