Re: Can't boot SS2 from CD with 8.0, 8.1, 8.99

Hi all,

> Maybe the SS2 SBus is too old.  The documentation does say:
>
>   The SunFastEthernet Adapter card is supported on most SBus based
>   Sun-4c, Sun-4m, and Sun-4d system architectures that run under the
>   Solaris® environment or other compatible operating systems.
>
>   To utilize the SunFastEthernet Adapter card, the system also needs to
>   contain OpenBootTM PROM (OBP) level 2.3 or later.
>
> So you *should* be OK.

Is that for the SunFastEthernet card [1] or the SunSwift (HME) card [2]?
I've not tried a 100M ethernet card in my SS2, so I don't know if either
work.

> > Now that I’ve got it installed, unfortunately I appear unable to get it
online; I had a HappyMeal card laying around so I threw that in there, but
NetBSD 8.1 is just spitting out “hme0: hme_chipreset: reset failed” along with
“le0: lost carrier” (of course, since I don’t have an MAU attached, much less a
network).

hme_chipreset() will print that if the reset bits aren't cleared in time.
I wonder if we need to wait longer on sun4c or there is some other problem
(like incompatible hardware).  It would be interesting to see what the other
bus_space_read_4 commands return (e.g. always 0xffffffff).

Regards,

Julian

[1] http://shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Devices/Ethernet/ETHER_SunFastEther_2.html
[2] http://shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Devices/SCSI/SCSI_SunSwift.html