Re: Can't boot SS2 from CD with 8.0, 8.1, 8.99

On Jul 2, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson%eschatologist.net@localhost> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2019, at 4:20 AM, Georg Brein <gbrein%gmx.at@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> what is the version of your firmware (reported on the console on
>> power-on/reset)? Years ago I had the same problem
>> with my SS2 (see NetBSD bug report #37080 --- same symptoms, same error
>> message); it went away when I upgraded
>> the firmware of my SS2 from version 2.2 to the latest and greatest
>> version for the SS2, version 2.9.
>
> Interesting, I think mine is 2.4 or something along those lines. Guess I need to upgrade.

That turned out to be it: Upgrading my SPARCstation 2’s boot ROM from 2.4.1 to 2.9 allows NetBSD to boot just fine.

Now that I’ve got it installed, unfortunately I appear unable to get it online; I had a HappyMeal card laying around so I threw that in there, but NetBSD 8.1 is just spitting out “hme0: hme_chipreset: reset failed” along with “le0: lost carrier” (of course, since I don’t have an MAU attached, much less a network).

Unfortunately, I don’t remember if I had to do some configuration on my SPARCstation 20 when switching it from le0 to hme0 when I installed a HappyMeal 100TX card in it. Does anyone know if that requires some sort of configuration, either in the ROM or NetBSD? This is an almost entirely clean install.

  -- Chris