Re: Can't boot SS2 from CD with 8.0, 8.1, 8.99

Chris Hanson writes:
> Now that I’ve got it installed, unfortunately I appear unable to get it online; I had a HappyMeal card laying around so I threw that in there, but NetBSD 8.1 is just spitting out “hme0: hme_chipreset: reset failed” along with “le0: lost carrier” (of course, since I don’t have an MAU attached, much less a network).
>
> Unfortunately, I don’t remember if I had to do some configuration on my SPARCstation 20 when switching it from le0 to hme0 when I installed a HappyMeal 100TX card in it. Does anyone know if that requires some sort of configuration, either in the ROM or NetBSD? This is an almost entirely clean install.

FWIW, I have an hme card in an SS20 (but haven't powered it up for years
unfortunately).  I am quite sure I did not have to configure anything
special; it just worked.

Maybe the SS2 SBus is too old.  The documentation does say:

  The SunFastEthernet Adapter card is supported on most SBus based
  Sun-4c, Sun-4m, and Sun-4d system architectures that run under the
  Solaris® environment or other compatible operating systems.

  To utilize the SunFastEthernet Adapter card, the system also needs to
  contain OpenBootTM PROM (OBP) level 2.3 or later.

So you *should* be OK.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab%bb-c.de@localhost
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"