Re: Build method

On 11/22/2011 22:51, Erik Fair wrote:
To make a modified kernels, assuming some path names, and I use csh(1):

cd /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf

cp GENERIC MYKERN

vi MYKERN # or emacs, or ed, or ... ;edit configuration to suit.

config -s /usr/src/sys -b /var/obj/sys/arch/sparc/compile/MYKERN MYKERN

cd /var/obj/sys/arch/sparc/compile/MYKERN # I keep objects here.

(make depend; make)>&! /var/tmp/make.MYKERN<  /dev/null

# if the compile (make) succeeded,
# you should now have a new ./netbsd
# so you can ...

cp netbsd /netbsd.new

shutdown -h now 'test new kernel'

# from the "ok " prompt of the Sun OpenBoot PROM:

boot -s netbsd.new

# the "-s" for single user mode,
# to make sure the kernel can get you to a shell; from there:

fsck /   # if you got a clean shutdown, this is unnecessary.
mount /  # this you have to do, since root comes up read-only.
mv netbsd netbsd.old
mv netbsd.new netbsd
reboot

# you have the old kernel in case something goes wrong;
# the reboot from this point should bring the system up
# in multi-user mode running the new kernel.

Does this help?

This process I've done before, but where I'm tripping up is the instructions for building a kernel when also combined with a complete system upgrade from source. The online docs show a completely different process for getting the source, building toolchains, userland and the kernel than for just a straight kernel recompile.

I currently have a /usr/src/sys on the system from the multiple kernel recompiles that I did to debug ntpd but I also have under /netbsd.cvs (a mount point for my JBOD box) the CVS of -current for a full system rebuild to fix the libc issues. So I'm trying to upgrade the entire system from the -current CVS copy in /netbsd.cvs and at the same time compile a kernel with extra options turned on and am having a devil of a time trying to follow the instructions for doing that.