Re: Build method

On 11/23/2011 00:19, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 04:15:28PM -0800, AGC wrote:
Yes, that is indeed what I'm trying to do, get the libc changes and then
retest.  But if it's not available anywhere yet then I guess I'll just
wait. :-)  I'll watch for word that the libc changes have entered the
system somewhere (CVS or whatever source is available).

I thought you said you installed some version of -current? The libc changes
are available in -current, but not on the netbsd-5 branch (which uses,
IIRC, quite different code in this area).

The system was installed originally from the most recent CD ISO image of netbsd-5 available. I haven't installed =current yet. I was trying to download it via CVS and then install it. That's where the confusion is coming in because I have never installed the system via downloaded sources.

For current, the daily builds include the changes in the binaries already,
so all you need to do is fetch the sets you installed from the daily build
cluster, recompile your modified kernel, boot the new kernel and extract
the sets (in this order!).

So: your uname -a output looks similar to this?

   NetBSD nelly.aprisoft.de 5.99.56 NetBSD 5.99.56 (NELLY.MP) #177: Thu Nov 17
09:53:53 CET 2011
martin%emmas.aprisoft.de@localhost:/nelly/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/NELLY.MP
 sparc64

My uname:

NetBSD sunipx2.acarver.net 5.1 NetBSD 5.1 (GENERIC) #0: Sat Nov 6 18:44:40 UTC 2010 builds%b6.netbsd.org@localhost:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-RELEASE/sparc/201011061943Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC sparc

Of course, if you prefer (for whatever reason) to do the whole build locally,
that is also fine, but if you don't we can give you detailed instructions
how to manually do the minimal needed update. Let's just make sure we talk
about the same things and intentions first ;-)

Thanks for your patience,

Thanks for yours, this is a new update method for me and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Not having done one before it's full of fits and starts.

Also, currently the CVS downloaded copy of -current resides under /netbsd.cvs which is where I mounted my spare JBOD box. My /usr/src is a mount point for the other JBOD box where I was holding a copy of pkgsrc, sys, and any of the other programs I was trying to build (gpsd, ntpd, etc.).