Re: Build method

On 11/22/2011 13:12, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 01:03:18PM -0800, AGC wrote:
and a couple other things before building my new kernel.  I was trying
to avoid building a kernel twice (once to boot and once again with the
configuration changes) but perhaps I can't.

You can certainly avoid that - there is some major confusion going on here,
I think, and we probably have to explain/document more.

First of all, you do not need to build on the target machine - any posix'ish
system will do (for example any recentish linux or *bsd machine, of whatever
arch). Second, if you are after the libc/gdtoa changes: those have not hit the
netbsd-5 branch (yet). And of course you can combine a self build kernel (with
custom options) with userland binaries from the netbsd "daily" builds.

But maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to do, in that case, just
ignor me.

Martin

Yes, that is indeed what I'm trying to do, get the libc changes and then retest. But if it's not available anywhere yet then I guess I'll just wait. :-) I'll watch for word that the libc changes have entered the system somewhere (CVS or whatever source is available).

Much of the documentation I've tried to use is very basic/short and doesn't entirely explain the process. It amounts to "execute this, then this, then boot" and glosses over a lot which is why I'm horribly lost in the upgrade process. I suppose this is what I get for not building too many systems from absolute scratch and relying partly on package management to update libraries. The only build I'd have to do on most of the systems was the kernel after the libraries came up from the package manager.

As for build machine, I'm building on the target machine because it's the one that is otherwise not doing much and has any space left. The two linux systems I've got are both a bit short on disk space (haven't gotten around to getting larger drives but they're PATAs not SATAs). The two systems that I know would have space (Sun Enterprise 220R's with a pair of A1000 arrays) are not even close to up and running because they're stuck in the garage without network access or power (that will change soon). I was able to find a couple drives in a JBOD pack that gave me 4 GB to use solely for the sources and the build (leaving the primary drive available to accept the installation).

I may need to dig in my piles of hardware and see if I've got any decently large PATAs that I can install in the one linux system.