Re: Bad powerpc code with GCC 4.5.3?

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:52:09 +0200
Radoslaw Kujawa <radoslaw.kujawa%c0ff33.net@localhost> wrote:

> I've noticed that there's a big size difference between the old working
> (ofppc) ofwboot, and the new:
> 57252 ofwboot.good
> 53984 ofwboot.new
> Is this due to better optimization done by the new gcc?

Probably. By comparing disassembled functions I saw that gcc 4.5.3 does
no longer create a new stack frame in leaf functions, which is good.

> Also, now ofwboot has one new section added:
>   [ 8] .gnu.attributes   LOOS+ffffff5    00000000 00cfb8 000014 00
> 0   0  1
> That's probably unrelated, though.

Yes. Remember that even a raw binary fails on sandpoint.

I'm currently updating my local sources. Maybe I find the time to look
for the exact crash reason over the next days.

--
Frank Wille