Re: Where arch/bebox/pci/pfb.c?

Hello,

On May 17, 2008, at 12:46, KIYOHARA Takashi wrote:

From: KIYOHARA Takashi <kiyohara%kk.iij4u.or.jp@localhost>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 15:54:15 +0900 (JST)

I think what the correct thing to do in your case, would be to start with genfb, and get that working. In theory, it should work with any card, as long as you know the current display mode of the card. Once you have a working console with genfb, then maybe look into writing a proper matroxfb or s3virgefb.

hmm... I can't understand. X-<
Should I attach genfb? In that case, how should be done the console? Do
not we have a console until genfb is attached?

Shall I define?

  # generic PCI framebuffers
  genfb*          at pci?

  # make sure the console display is always wsdisplay0
  wsdisplay0      at wsemuldisplaydev? console 1
  wsdisplay*      at wsemuldisplaydev?

I succeed to support genfb(4).  ;-)

Nice :)

However, I saw the color of the character and the cursor strange.  For
instance, the cursor was a pink color, font was a gray.  I was able to
change the color to white by defining WS_DEFAULT_FG.

    options WS_DEFAULT_FG=WSCOL_LIGHT_WHITE

Genfb doesn't know anything about the underlying hardware, to access colour map registers it needs a callback ( see spar64/sparc64/ autoconf.c for example, or powerpc/oea/ofw_autoconf.c ) If the firmware sets up a sane colour map I'll just add support for a static colour map, rasops can already deal with it.

Moreover, I was able to obtain following information.

    0x00 - 0x1f : black - white
    0x20 - 0x3f :       - blue
    0x40 - 0x5f :       - red

And I have a new problem. Both of the match() of vga and genfb returns 1. Therefore, which attaching is tried cannot be specified. Isn't it return
value revokable dynamic in some methods we?

genfb is intended to be a catch-all fallback for graphics cards where we can find the framebuffer but don't have a native driver for it. Drivers like chipsfb, machfb etc. all return 100 they match something so they'd win against genfb.

If vga works I'd say stick with it.

have fun
Michael