Re: X-windows display resolutions

Hello,

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 11:08:49 +0100
Kevin Smallman <pipeline79%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I now have netbsd installed on my mac mini.  However, when I startx
> the only display resolution I can get on my 1920x1080 monitor is
> 1024x768.
> When I performed the installation, I was using the dvi-vga adaptor on
> the mac mini, because I had never figured out how to get the higher
> resolution that it was capable of to work with my non-apple monitor,
> in direct dvi connection.

First, please try a -current kernel, I fixed a bunch of issues like
that a while ago, I'm not sure any of that made it into 8.x.

Is that a 1st or 2nd generation Mini? They differ in the way the
digital part of the DVI port is wired.
Here's the breakdown:
1st generation runs at 1.25GHz or 1.42GHz, the model property on the
device tree's root node says 'PowerMac10,1'. The digital output is
wired to the graphics chip's internal TMDS transmitter. VGA should work
up to 1920x1080, DVI is unreliable above 1280x1024, seems to be a
hardware issue.
2nd generation runs at 1.33GHz or 1.5GHz, model string is 'PowerMac
10,2', the digital output is wired to the external TMDS transmitter.
With these both VGA and DVI work up to 1920x1080.

Before my fixes the digital part wouldn't work right at all.

> Now I've done some research in OSX and found the switchresx utility to
> lower the frequency and create a custom profile that works over dvi at
> 1080p.
> This seems to be persistent across the reboot to open firmware and
> into netbsd console.
> However, I still don't know how to give myself this resolution for
> more 'real estate' in X.
> If I do:  X -configure
> I get a list of seemingly relevant drivers, but the configuration
> seems to completely stall shortly after, with the computer seeming to
> go into a heavy load state that I can't escape from.  Except by
> pressing the power button.
> I did xrandr when I first installed, and that's when it showed
> 1024x768, 1024x1024 max only.
> Now, it seems to say "display not accessible".

IIRC I had to fix a few things in the radeon driver as well ( mostly so
it can properly read the model string and use the proper wiring for the
digital output ). So, please try -current.
It shouldn't need a config file at all.

Also, I'm not sure what the problem with your VGA adaptor is - all
Minis can run the analog part at 1920x1080, and that should work even
in 8,1.

You may still be able to get X working right, from the radeon man page:
       Option "MacModel" "string"
              Used to specify Mac models for connector tables and
              quirks.  If you have a PowerBook or Mini with DVI that
              does not work properly, try the alternate options as
              Apple does not seem to provide a good way of knowing
              whether they use internal or external TMDS for DVI.  Only
              valid on PowerPC.  On Linux, the driver will attempt to
              detect the MacModel automatically.
ibook -- ibooks
powerbook-external   -- Powerbooks with external DVI
powerbook-internal   -- Powerbooks with integrated DVI
powerbook-vga        -- Powerbooks with VGA rather than DVI
mini-external        -- Mac Mini with external DVI
mini-internal        -- Mac Mini with integrated DVI
imac-g5-isight       -- iMac G5 iSight
emac                 -- eMac G4 sam440ep             --
SAM440ep embedded board The default value is undefined.

In -current the auto-detection should work.

have fun
Michael