X-windows display resolutions

Hi there,
I now have netbsd installed on my mac mini.  However, when I startx
the only display resolution I can get on my 1920x1080 monitor is
1024x768.
When I performed the installation, I was using the dvi-vga adaptor on
the mac mini, because I had never figured out how to get the higher
resolution that it was capable of to work with my non-apple monitor,
in direct dvi connection.
Now I've done some research in OSX and found the switchresx utility to
lower the frequency and create a custom profile that works over dvi at
1080p.
This seems to be persistent across the reboot to open firmware and
into netbsd console.
However, I still don't know how to give myself this resolution for
more 'real estate' in X.
If I do:  X -configure
I get a list of seemingly relevant drivers, but the configuration
seems to completely stall shortly after, with the computer seeming to
go into a heavy load state that I can't escape from.  Except by
pressing the power button.
I did xrandr when I first installed, and that's when it showed
1024x768, 1024x1024 max only.
Now, it seems to say "display not accessible".
Might it be worth doing a completely fresh install of NetBSD, now that
the monitor is connected over dvi?

Kevin.