Port-i386 archive

Re: i386 minimum space requirements

On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 08:30:41AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2023 at 08:16:48PM +0000, John Klos wrote:
> > NetBSD/i386 System Requirements and Supported Devices
> >
> > NetBSD 9.3 runs on all i486 or later PC-compatible systems with 1 to 32
> > processors. The minimal configuration for a full, standard installation is
> > 32MB of RAM and 250MB of disk space.
>
> This is also encoded in usr.sbin/sysinst/arch/i386/md.h:
>
> /* Megs required for a full X installation. */
> #define XNEEDMB 250
>
> #define DEBNEEDMB       1024     /* Extra megs for debug sets */
>

> and the X size probably comes from an older version of X11 (and especially
> before the DRM drivers).
>
> We should update it, and also verify all other architectures, I guess amd64
> and evbarm have their numbers off too.

I just installed a new i386 class machine (Alix: 500 MHz Geode,
256M RAM) with NetBSD 9.3 with what I consider a minimum system,
which is the following sets:
 - Kernel
 - kernel modules
 - Base
 - Configuration files
 - Compiler tools
 - Manual pages
 - Miscellaneous
 - Recovery tools
 - Text processing tools

Freshly after install, this comes to 628M used on the rootfs (just a
single rootfs, no separation for e.g. /usr, /var, ...).

I left out X11 and sources, since this machine only has a serial
console and I'll grab sources when 10.0 is released.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison