Port-i386 archive

Re: Boot-time question

> Two side notes (which may be useless):

>  - i386 and amd64 /boot and bootsector should be identical

Well, replacing the 4.0.1 amd64 /boot and bootxx_ffsv1 with the 5.2
i386 ones fixed the hard-reset problem.  The 4.0.1 i386 ones also
turned out to fix that problem.  But each of those gave me a system
unable to find its boot device because it didn't find USB devices early
enough.

>  - it may be worth trying 7.0.1 and/or -current (there have been some
>    changes, but mostly to deal with real i386 CPUs)

I may if I have to, but it would be useful for diagnosing the problem
only, since (for reasons I see no need for rehashing here, though I can
if you want) I won't be running anything past 5.x routinely.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign