Port-i386 archive

Re: netbsd-5 on Citrix XenClient 2.1 (on an HP EliteBook 8460p)

At Mon, 6 Feb 2012 22:03:21 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: netbsd-5 on Citrix XenClient 2.1 (on an HP EliteBook 8460p)

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:55:55PM -0800, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Either that or maybe the support for the unique chips it alone can
> > handle should be migrated to rtk(4) and re(4) should be sent to the bit
> > bucket.  (That's said with my only, at least even semi-recent,
> > experience with the both of them being now with XenClient.)
>
> re(4) uses a completely different DMA path, which is wastly superior to
> rtk(4), so that wouldn't be an improvement.

So maybe re(4) could learn about any unique chips only rtk(4) supports
and also learn how rtk(4) deals better with the Xen emulation and then
the (very poorly documented) rtk(4) could got to the bit bucket.  :-)

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/