Port-i386 archive

Re: panic: bad dir with recent -current

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, John D. Baker wrote:

/: bad dir ino 434153 at offset 0: mangled entry

Turns out this was in /usr/pkg/include... part of the boost-headers
package, which explains why the machine fell over during the wrapper
phase of building gnash.

I deleted the offending directory, deleted the affected package and
re-fsck'd everything until it was all clean.

And I mischaracterized the system's opinion of the filesystems.  It
did replay the log.  My otherwise orderly shutdown during the initial
checks caused them to be marked clean, but forcing the check with
'fsck -yf /' revealed disconnected files and directories that were
part of the boost-headers package.

So what could be prompting the system to mangle a directory in the
first place?

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the kernel asserts that the
system's TOD clock has a preposterous time and date and initializes its
time from the filesystem instead (it later starts ntpd to synchronize
with my local time server).  I dropped into the BIOS setup a few times
and the TOD clock accurately reflects current UTC time and date.  (Is
this an artifact of the DST gap in the US vs. other parts of the world?)