Port-i386 archive

Re: soekris net5501 and netbsd-5 /boot

David Laight <david%l8s.co.uk@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 07:35:54PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> I have a net5501, which was running netbsd-5 from april or so fine,
>> except for the 2-minute boot delay problem.  I updated /netbsd and
>> userland in plafe, and in addition updated /boot and bootxx_ffsv1.  The
>> system will now get to the point where I can tell it to boot /netbsd or
>> /netbsd.ok (my old kernel), and for either will print the sizes line and
>> then nothing.  So bootxx_ffsv1 loads /boot, and /boot seems to load the
>> kernel but immediately have trouble.
>
> What are the console settings?
> It might be that you've lost the serial console, everything up to the
> point you've mentioned is likely to be using bios calls - which work.

Thanks very much for the hint; that was indeed the issue.

Interrupting the boot and telling /boot "console com0" made the system
boot ok.

> The serial console parameters are in a patchable header in the bootcode
> (the copy in bootxx_ffsv1 wiill be the one that is used).

(For the archives:)
It's not obvious from the man page, but installboot can show the
existing options, via verbose editing and not writing anything.

  root 18 /usr/mdec #> installboot -v -e /dev/rwd0a
  File system:         /dev/rwd0a
  Boot options:        timeout 5, flags 0, speed 9600, ioaddr 0, console pc

and then it's just "-v -e -o console=com0" to set it.

It seems like a bug that installing a new bootstrap doesn't preserve
options.  Do others feel that way?

> The system might even be coming up far enough to let you login remotely!

For reasons I don't understand, while after setting "console com0" to
/boot, the system came up and was on the net, without that it never did.