Port-i386 archive

Re: AR8131/2 driver

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Ignatios Souvatzis
<presse%ycm-bonn.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 05:46:23PM -0500, fire crow wrote:
>> I have another ASUS laptop that needs the same driver, alc0
>>
>> I got a patch to work, think it was based on the openbsd driver
>> links to the patch are shown here.
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2010/07/21/msg013891.html
>>
>> +
>
> I got that pachtes working with netbsd-5-1 by adding three defines
> for PCIE registers to the driver itself.
>
> Using that, alc0 is detected, eeprom read in a way that the correct MAC
> is displayed, atphy0 is detected, media capabilities are displayed.
>
> If I try to mount alc0 as root, I get phy read and write timeouts,
> however.
>
> Regards,
>        -is

yeah I got alc0 it to work, but it took being on a particular branch
of current at the time. I didn't modify anything just applied the
patches, to the sources. modified some other stuff about not using
modules for the fs but unrelated to the alc0 patch.

only thing it does not do is dhcp for some reason, I have to set
/etc/mygate manually and start the computer with a live ethernet cable
while it boots. otherwise it will just say "alc0: timeout" or
something like that. even if I plug a cable in after it boots it will
not detect the cable unless the cable was in and live when it booted
up.

here is my system stats, let me know if you could use any more details.

computer is a ASUS ul50vt bought sometime during 2010.

$ uname -a
NetBSD crowsnest 5.99.39 NetBSD 5.99.39 (CROWSNEST_MONO) #7: Sun Nov
14 05:59:54 EST 2010
root@crowsnest:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/CROWSNEST_MONO i386

$ dmesg | grep alc0
alc0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0: Attansic/Atheros L1E Ethernet
alc0: ioapic0 pin 17
alc0: Ethernet address 48:5b:39:06:c6:55
atphy0 at alc0 phy 0: L1 10/100/1000 PHY, rev. 11

+
| fire crow
| computer programmer

  http://firecrow.com, fire%firecrow.com@localhost, 917.306.9451, New York