Port-i386 archive

Re: head(1)

        Hello Andrew.  I suspect tail is much more robust than head is. And,
you can do all you want with tail that you can with head by using the +
argument on the command line.  In other wirds, tail +10 works the same as
head -10.

That might help you with your current problem. Also look at split(1) to see
if that might let you slice the file up into small enough chunks to deal
with more sanely.

-Brian