Port-i386 archive

Re: Multiboot(8) command-line format/parsing

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

So basically, the spec is broken. Not really surprising given everything
else in it. Basically, with GRUB legacy you could either do something
sane with the first argument, if you are interested in the booted
kernel. NetBSD falls into this category. Or you silently drop it. Xen is
doing something similar for modules, which is annoying. Making the whole
thing optional now is making this even worse. I guess this falls into
the "Linux doesn't care, so why do this properly" category...

Well, that's your opinion. Personnally, I wouldn't say that. I would rather say that kernel implementations (NetBSD, Xen, others?) rely too much on one particular implementation of the spec (GRUB legacy), whereas, in a perfect world (or, if you prefer, in a NetBSD world ;-)), they should rely on the spec itself. That's what specs are written for, aren't they?

But I agree that things would be simpler if the spec had been more precise regarding the command-line format.

Grégoire