Port-i386 archive

Re: Multiboot(8) command-line format/parsing

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 06:33:34PM +0100, Grégoire Sutre wrote:
This started with the fact that, in GRUB 2, the command-line passed
to the kernel does not contain the kernel itself, i.e. with the
command

multiboot (hd0,1,a)/netbsd -z root=wd0a

That sounds like a regression compared to the legacy version and
compared to what e.g. Xen is using internally. Both provide at least an
empty first argument, IIRC.

What do you mean by an empty first argument?

In fact, I consider it is a bug that GRUB
doesn't pass down the locator of the kernel.

Does the multiboot specification require this for the command-line passed to the kernel being booted?

I don't know about Xen, but regarding GRUB, the answer from grub-devel is that this allows more flexibility, as the user has complete control over the command-line passed to the kernel, and it suffices to duplicate the kernel file name on the command-line to get the same behavior as GRUB Legacy.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2010-01/msg00146.html

This subject is too new for me to have a personal opinion.

Best,

Grégoire