Port-i386 archive

5.0.1 boot messages: a few questions

Happy New Year, all!

I am installing NetBSD-5.0.1 (i386) after running with 3.1.1
(on the same hardware) for several years.  My kernel is just
like GENERIC except for the ident, maxusers (bumped up to 128),
the addition of options BEEP_ONHALT, BEEP_ONHALT_COUNT=3, and
DIAGNOSTIC, and the addition of the spkr0 device.  The hardware
is an HP Pavilion a1620n (this is even reported in the boot
messages!).

Things seem generally fine so far (I haven't installed any
software yet), except for the resolution in X, but I am reading
the boot messages as I always do, and I have a few questions:

(1) How can I find out what these "not configured" things are
    under acpi0, and whether they can or should be recognized?

    acpi0: X/RSDT: OemId <HP-CPC,AWRDACPI,42302e31>, AslId <AWRD,00000000>
    acpi0: SCI interrupting at int 9
    acpi0: fixed-feature power button present
    IELK (AWY0001) at acpi0 not configured
      [Googling reveals this to be "AMD AwayMode", probably unimportant]
    ECP1 (PNP0401) at acpi0 not configured
      [An Epson printer driver???  that makes no sense...]
    FWH (INT0800) at acpi0 not configured
      ["Firmware hub" or "PCI bus"???]
    FAN (PNP0C0B) at acpi0 not configured
      [Control of the CPU fan?]

(2) "Stolen" memory?  What the hey?

    pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
    pchb0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x2770 (rev. 0x02)
    pchb0: returns constant 0xff stream, RNG disabled.
    agp0 at pchb0: detected 7932k stolen memory
    agp0: aperture at 0xe0000000, size 0x10000000

(3) Any idea what this unknown product is?

    pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
    vendor 0x14f1 product 0x2f20 (miscellaneous communications) \
      at pci1 dev 5 function 0 not configured

(4) While thinking about my X resolution issue, I looked for the
    kernel's information about my graphics card:

      vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x2772 (rev.  0x02)
      drm at vga1 not configured

    The above strikes me as quite odd, because 3.1.1 had a
    better idea of what it was:

      vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Intel product 0x2772 (rev. 0x02)

    Why would "vendor Intel" have become unknown since 3.1.1?

    Hmm, I think I need to add "i915drm*" support to my kernel to
    get rid of the "not configured" message, as per:
    http://wiki.netbsd.se/DRI%2C_AIGLX%2C_Composite_and_Compiz
    Well, it's easy to do, whether or not I really need it.  ;-)

(5) Not a question... yet!

    The old XFree86 VESA driver recognized my graphics card
    to some extent:

    (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: Intel(r) 82945G Chipset Family \
      Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS

    Back in 2007 with XFree86, I had tried 'Driver "i810"', but the
    version we had at that time did not list my chipset 945G as
    supported, so I ended up using 'Driver "vesa"' at a resolution
    of 1024x768, which is much smaller than the Acer AL2616W's
    rated maximum of 1920x1200.

    Now I'd like to try again to get the highest resolution available,
    but we've switched to Xorg, so here I go up the learning curve
    again!  The xorg.conf file generated by using "X -configure" sets:

      Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "intel"
        VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
        BoardName   "82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
      EndSection

   ... which looks right, but it didn't determine anything
   about my screen, and "xrandr" shows only some relatively
   low-ish resolutions.

   I guess I'll experiment around with the Monitor Section of
   xorg.conf and see if I can get the behaviour I want; I'll come
   back if I get stuck!

Anne.