Port-i386 archive

ksyms broken by multiboot in NetBSD 5?

Hi,

on a system with partitions E2 (NetBSD 3) and E3 (NetBSD 5) of type 169
the NetBSD bootblock finds E2 first and uses the second stage boot program
and boot.cfg on that partition to present the boot menu [1].

In order to use NetBSD 5 on partition E3 I have included a line

  menu=Boot NetBSD 5:multiboot hd0j:netbsd

Booting NetBSD 5 in this way breaks /dev/ksyms for me and
sysutils/lsof complains like this

  lsof: kvm_openfiles(execfile=/dev/ksyms, corefile=/dev/mem): Device
  not configured

The command dd confirms this behaviour:

  # dd if=/dev/ksyms of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1
  dd: /dev/ksyms: Device not configured

If I change the partition type on E2 from 169 to 170 the boot block
finds the second stage boot program together with boot.cfg on E3 and
then lsof and dd work as expected.

ciao
     Klaus

[1] It is a little more complicated (2 drives with raidframe
    disks in E2 and E3) but this should not matter.