Port-i386 archive

Re: i386 PAE support (Patches)

On 04/01/2010 17:46, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> what issue with ptoa() did you see ? I understand how bad trucating to
> vaddr_t here can be, but it's not an issue with Xen so I wonder why
> it's needed in the native case.

The problem I ran into was this [0] portion of uvm_page_init() - For a
high segment of memory (0x100000000 -> 0x1FFFF8000 on my machine) the
top part of the address is lost by ptoa(), leading to incorrect paddr
calculations in the following loop. (The upshot is that high memory gets
silently ignored).

This behavior won't occur if memory is reported as one segment with the
first address below the 4Gb boundry - could this be why Xen doesn't have
trouble with that piece of code?

[0] http://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/uvm/uvm_page.c#442

--
Thanks,