Port-i386 archive

Re: Sensors on Asus P2B-F?

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 03:06:32PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> It's possible.  But I haven't found any documentation on how to actually
> identify what is where.  Heck, most of the time the I2C/SMBus isn't even
> identified in the DSDT.

This is my impression too.

In laptops, for instance, the I2C/SMBus is typically deliberately hidden.
But if something is connected, it is likely exposed only via ACPI. As an
example, some recent Asus boards contain a specific ACPI interface (HID
"ATK0110") for the sensors. Moreover, because the wiring of the sensors may
be unclear, or because ACPI may claim the related resources, it may be
dangerous to scan the I2C bus on such machines.

> If someone knows of any standards in this area, I'll be happy to dive
> deeper.

The new ACPI 4.0 specification has something to offer here in terms of
"power meters".

- Jukka.