Port-i386 archive

Re: Desktop NetBSD needs your help

----------------

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:00:03AM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
 > [desktop stuff]

While all that is a fine idea in principle, I'm worried that in
practice it's going to end up being another large-scale effort to
reinvent the mistakes of the Linux world.

----------------

If you are going to use Gnome or any existing desktop you are
automatically going to  borrow from the mistakes of the Linux world. (
Would like to exclude XFCE from this personally :D)

I used to play DVDs, videos and audio files from cmdline console  for
many years on my linuxfromscratch setup ( I was an anti-GUI person).
Why not just add well written drivers for all audio cards out there,
some hi-res console framebuffer and a multimedia player app that will
play 720p HD video besides DVDs  (upscale using ffmpeg?) and leave it
there? ( dunno if thats technically possible, or of the suggestion is
technically stupid - my apologies if it is so... ). I just setup my
linux console to use 1440x1080 res with vesa mode, so I am guessing
atleast 720p should be possible ... ? The linux console alsamixer  app
for example is pretty good. Similar console based apps for playing
videos will satisfy most netbsd users I am guessing. This way netbsd
can stay clean from the proprietory ATI/NVIDIA BLOBs and still provide
a graphics experience where it matters. what gets left out here is a
graphical browser, and ability to play youtube flash videos (requires
flash blob anyways so leave it out). I was never able to run links
console browser in graphical mode as far as I remember.

Just my two cents.
--
Kind  Regards
GobbleDeGeek