Port-i386 archive

tlp0: unable to map device registers

Hi all!

I am having problems with a NetBSD install on an old system of mine.

First, I cannot get the operating system to configure my Ethernet
card. The kernel recognizes it as a "Davicom DM9102A Ethernet" and
attempts to assign the tlp (Tulip) drivers to the hardware device.
Although the Tulip drivers seem to be very well known (and compiled
into the GENERIC kernel?) I cannot configure the device.

Dmesg gives me:
"tlp0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0: DAvicom DM9102A Ethernet, pass 3.1
tlp0: unable to map device registers"

At first I was thinking it was a BIOS problem so I checked my IRQs and
noticed there was a conflict with my video card. A reboot did not fix
the problem. In fact dmesg doesn't even attempt to assign to assign an
IRQ line to the tlp device (dmesg | grep irq returns nothing related
to the tlp device). "dhclient" will not assign it an ip address b/c it
says "No broadcast interfaces found - exiting." If I run "ifconfig" it
says "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS tlp0: Device not configured"

This card is recognized and configured correctly by the Linux kernel
so I know it's not a hardware problem.

Also, I had another different problem that I was thinking was possibly
related. After I installed NetBSD, I upgraded the RAM in my system
from 256MB to 760MB, which is the maximum my system supports. The BIOS
recognizes the memory fine, however NetBSD will not boot. Almost
immediately as it starts to load the kernel it gives me the message:

"WARNING: memory map entry overlaps with ''Compatibility Holes'':
0xec000/0x4000/0x4
kenter: 0x00002000
acpi: wakecode is installed at 0x2000, size=376
BIOS CFG: Model-SubM-Rev: fc-01-00, 0x74<EBDA,KBDINT,RTC,IC2>
kernel: supervisor trap page fault, code=0
Stopped in pid 0.1 () at        netbsd:initmsgbuf+0x20: cmpl
$0x63061,0(%ebx)"

and then brings me to a "db>" prompt.

The system I am running is based around an AMD Athlon Thunderbird
1.2Ghz processor (Socket A) in an old Compaq 5014US computer. I've got
a 20GB hard drive in there, and 1x256MB stick of RAM. The specs for my
motherboard can be found here:
http://www.igs.net/~ndaines/Qfiles/uwave2.html

This is my first time posting on a mailing list, so I hope it reaches
you. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks a bunch
Emery

--
http://emdog4.googlepages.com