Port-i386 archive

Re: ACPI S1 state

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, David Young wrote:
1 I want to conserve as much battery as possible when the machine
 is idle.

2 I don't want to shut down the machine when it is idle.

3 S1 is the only sleep state that the BIOS on my laptop supports.
 (S4 *may* work, but I'm not holding my breath.)

S4 would work whenever we gain OSPM hibernation support.

4 Slow as waking all of the devices may be, it only takes about
 one second for the system to become interactive.  It only
 takes a few seconds longer for the HDD to wake.

5 If there is a strict wake latency requirement for S1, I am not aware
 of it.  As best I can tell, it need only wake faster than S2 and S3,
 and neither of those is an option.

S1 explicitly defines that devices do not lose their state, so this should not be necessary. I would rather fix the real problem rather than hack around it.

6 Compliance with ACPI guidelines/standards is important, but when
 you get down to it, users want something that can meet both their
 power-saving and latency requirements.

Agreed, we need per-device Sstate->Dstate mappings. Maybe a 6.0 project :)

Cheers,
Jared