Port-i386 archive

Re: enabling PCI_*_FIXUP in GENERIC

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:53:24PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 03:42:21PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > I think that if the BIOS does not activate a device, it is because the
> > BIOS author intended for the BIOS to be dead simple, or else the BIOS
> > anticipates that the operating system will activate the device.
>
> Not if you say e.g. in the bios to not use this device.

There may be many reasons.  If the BIOS intentionally did not activate a
device, for whatever reason, then NetBSD should not necessarily follow
suit.  Sometimes it may be highly desirable to follow the BIOS, and
sometimes it may not be.  There should be a fixed policy in the kernel.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24