Port-i386 archive

Re: Intel core 2 duo cpu... i386 or amd64...

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 06:00:48 -0700 (PDT)
ck74 <ck74%operamail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply...
>
> I plan to install NetBSD onto a notebook. I'm now downloading head
> snapshot of amd64 to check installation issues.

I've been running amd64 on a T61 since December.

> I need to use following applications/features:
>
> - Modular Xorg (must)

Works well.

> - KDE

Haven't tried it on amd64.

> - Suse base

I haven't gotten any Linux32 applications to run; I haven't tried any
Linux64 applications.  The two I was most interested in were
openoffice2-bin and acroread.

> - Firefox - Thunderbird pair

They've worked well for me, though I only rarely use Thunderbird.

> - Cups and softwares to print using HP printer.

Cups is fine.

> - Openoffice.

It mostly works, but I've encountered one serious problem: I can't save
presentations in Powerpoint format; see pkg/38255.  The problem
persists on 2.4.  Note the suggestion in the PR that it may be a
compiler bug.

Bear in mind Greg Troxel's comment about applications breaking.  I've
had to fix at least three different packages that weren't portable to
amd64 on NetBSD -- but worked fine on Linux/amd64.