Port-i386 archive

Re: Problems with ICH2?

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 02:51:50PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:

>       Hello,
>
> one of the NetBSD systems I look after froze again today. It has been
> doing that for quite a while unfortunately with both NetBSD 3.1_STABLE
> and NetBSD 4.0(_BETA2,_RC*|). The only common pattern of these crashes
> is that they happen if at least one the harddisks is busy.
>
> I think that it is a hardware problem but I want to make sure because
> we already threw some hardware at the problem which did't help at all.
> The only parts we didn't change are the motherboard (ASUS P4B266 SE)
> the CPU (Pentium IV 2.0A) and the case (we did however change the
> power supply).  My guess is that the motherboard has developed a fault.
>
> I'm therefore looking for somebody who can confirm that Intel's ICH2
> south bridge ...
>
> piixide0 at pci0 dev 31 function 1
> piixide0: Intel 82801BA IDE Controller (ICH2) (rev. 0x05)
> piixide0: bus-master DMA support present
> piixide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
> piixide0: primary channel interrupting at ioapic0 pin 14 (irq 14)
>
> ... works stable under NetBSD 4.0, especially in combination with raid(4).

I had an awful time trying to keep an box with a i82801BA
(attached to a i82815) stable when used with raid(4).
Heavy disk activity (such as checking the mirror) would
hang the thing.  This was a cyclic problem that only
seemed to get worse.

I gave up and only use that board for occasional testing and
development now.  This was with NetBSD 3.x.

        Jonathan Kollasch