Re: No keyboard with current Re: upgrading distribution

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Nikos Ntarmos wrote:

Then it locks up hard, so it seems that the 3-stable kernel doesn't
work with the current userland.

Running a -STABLE kernel with an -CURRENT userland is a bad idea. As a
matter of fact, running a kernel older than your userland is surely
asking for trouble. This doesn't hold the other way round (usually),
that's why you first upgrade your kernel and then your userland. FYI:
http://netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#what-to-do

Well, I was only trying this because the -CURRENT kernel was not working; I couldn't use the keyboard. I upgraded both the kernel and userland toether by putting the CF into an i386 NetBSD machine.

defaults fix:
        /mnt/newetc//usr.sbin/pf/etc/defaults is not a directory;
skipping check
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/twm to /etc/X11/twm [NOT FIXED]
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm to /etc/X11/xdm [NOT FIXED]
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit to /etc/X11/xinit [NOT FIXED]
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver to /etc/X11/xserver [NOT
FIXED]
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xsm to /etc/X11/xsm [NOT FIXED]
[...]
postinstall fixes failed: defaults gid uid x11

These fixes failed, so your system isn't quite up-to-date. Usually
re-running postinstall with the failed fixes does the trick. If not, you
should be able to do these fixes manually (i.e. making the missing
directory, adding the missing groups/users, moving the x11 files, etc.)

Well, it was probably not finding th esource files. I gave it a source directory on an NFS server that had etc.tgz and xetc.tgz extracted into it. I bet these files were somewhere else. Since I installed all the other sets, can I just run postinstall again using / as the source directory, or is it still going to need the xetc.tgz files at the same time?

This is a small problem, though. My main problem is no keyboard support with the -CURRENT kernel. Unless I can get this repaired, I'll have to reload my backup of the old system.

Mike