No keyboard with current Re: upgrading distribution

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 15:32:46 -0400, Michael Wileman wrote:

No need to reformat the card, just untar the sets except the etc.tgz
in single user mode (or on another machine) and run postinstall(8).

So you mean untar them OVER the current installation?

Yes.

And can I run postinstall also on the other machine,

You should be able to, e.g. standard netbsd (cross) build runs it.

or it must be run on the 680?

It might be easier to run "na{t,}ively" on the 680.  Less options to
worry about ;).

Installed all of the sets except etc.tgz and xetc.tgz, then loaded the CF and booted. Booted fine, but I can't log in from the console. In fact, I don't seem to have any keyboard at all. Booting once without the network card, I was unable to type ^C to make the kernel stop trying to set an nfs swap.

I was able to boot into single-user mode and run postinstall, and now I can log in via ssh over the network with the current kernel.

Just for kicks I tried using the 3beta kernel, which worked with my old userland, but I get an error:
panix: init died (signal 0, exit 1)
kloader: kernel file name: /netbsd
kloader: namei failed (/netbsd)
syncing disks... done

Then it locks up hard, so it seems that the 3-stable kernel doesn't work with the current userland.

Could someone who is running current download the Aug24 kernel binary and see if it works for them, so I will know if it is worth it for me to keep trying to get this working?

It probably doesn't matter, but here are some errors I got after running postinstall. I also noted that I seem to be using a lot more space in / than before, even after postinstall cleaned things up.

Mike

Source directory: /mnt/newetc/
Target directory: /
defaults fix:
/mnt/newetc//usr.sbin/pf/etc/defaults is not a directory; skipping check
mtree fix:
gid fix:
        Missing groups [NOT FIXED]: _pflogd authpf
uid fix:
        Missing users [NOT FIXED]: _pflogd
periodic fix:
rc fix:
pam fix:
ssh fix:
(Checking for moduli from /mnt/newetc//etc instead of /mnt/newetc//crypto/dist/ssh)
x11 fix:
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs to /etc/X11/fs [NOT FIXED]
Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/lbxproxy to /etc/X11/lbxproxy [NOT FIXED] Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/proxymngr to /etc/X11/proxymngr [NOT FIXED] Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rstart to /etc/X11/rstart [NOT FIXED]
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/twm to /etc/X11/twm [NOT FIXED]
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm to /etc/X11/xdm [NOT FIXED]
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit to /etc/X11/xinit [NOT FIXED]
Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver to /etc/X11/xserver [NOT FIXED]
        Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xsm to /etc/X11/xsm [NOT FIXED]
wscons fix:
makedev fix:
(Checking for MAKEDEV from /mnt/newetc//dev instead of /tmp/_postinstall.561.0)
postfix fix:
(Checking for postfix scripts from /usr/share/examples/postfix instead of /mnt/newetc//gnu/dist/postfix/conf)
obsolete fix:
sendmail fix:
hosts fix:
postinstall fixes passed: mtree periodic rc pam ssh wscons makedev postfix obsolete sendmail hosts
postinstall fixes failed: defaults gid uid x11