Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Workpad Z50 install issue

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> My Z50 now also has 48MB of RAM so I revisited NetBSD, I was unable to
> install 6.1.5 & -current snapshot from earlier this month. Issue for
> me appears to be malloc errors when tar attempts to set permissions on
> files extracted from the base set. On 6.1.5 after many retries it
> passed but then failed again at another set, I gave up at this point
> as I'd spent some time on it.
> At first I was doing network installs via HTTP & FTP from various
> mirrors but then I obtained a 4GB CF which I've not partitioned into
> 2, one is a FAT partition containing the install sets and the other is
> the NetBSD one which I install onto. Still the same behaviour. I'm in
> the process of trying to install NetBSD 5.2.3 as I type this email.

I haven't tried -current yet, but 6.x is definitely broken.  It's the
same on the cobalt port, which uses a similar processor.

I wonder if it's an out of memory issue.  I know that on a lot of
linux installers, I can drop to a terminal and add a swap space.  When
I get my 6GB microdrive in I will have to try that to see if it
helps.....Although the cobalts can take 256MB, so it's hard to tell
where the actual problem lies....

Unfortunately, there aren't many pre-compiled binaries for mips.  I've
compiled some stuff so far.  If u want I can try to find a place to
post them for you.  It took 4 days to pull in all the dependencies for
Midnight Commander and compile it.