Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Z50 window managers not working

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> To test further you could try 'startx xterm' to fire up just an xterm
> without any window manager, then try running them individually... (so
> you can see any error messages)

Tried that and same thing.  Then I remembered that you have to use an
explicit path to startup X that way with xterm(because it sees it as
an argument).  So I did a 'locate' for the windowmanager binaries, and
then started X that way using the full path.  fvwm & icewm started ok.
jwm did not.  Still not sure that the deal is with jwm but at least
something is working now.

However, it does now work.  Of course, I don't have any X programs
installed yet, so icewm's menus were empty.

Compiling abiword now.

Now if I could figure out what's up with my RaQ2.  I set the ip
address(on the front panel) but it refuses to respond.  I have 2 of
them but 1 didn't come with a drive, so I will have to see if that one
will work.  If I can get them to work I will start compiling programs
on them.  I know the Z50 & the RaQ2's have 64bit chips but I can't see
any reason to bother trying to run 64bit code.  A big drawback is lack
of RAM, which would definitely hamper the Z50.  The RaQ2's max out at
256MB.

I did pull a 7.0 snapshot from 4-10, but I am waiting on a 6GB
microdrive I ordered to come in to see if it works properly.