Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Mobile Pro 880 Successes with 4.0

Funny you should mention this today, as I just made a tarball of the pkgsrc 'packages' dir I made on/for my MobilePro 780 (essentially the same machine as the 880) available yesterday:

http://benjamin.hodgens.net/files/packages-netbsd-4.0mipsel.2008.10.tgz

There aren't nearly as many packages available as you built, but as the file name suggests, they're from 2008/10's 'current' pkgsrc. Here's a partial list:

epic4-2.2nb1
jed 0.99
mutt 1.4.2.3nb2
ncurses 5.6nb2
ncursesw 5.6nb2
lua 5.1.4
luafilesystem 1.4.1
antiword 0.37nb1
flwm 1.02
ion 20040729nb6
matchbox-wm 1.1
x11-links 0.39
matchbox-panel 0.9.2nb3
matchbox-themes-extra 0.3nb1
matchbox-wm 1.1
matchbox-desktop 0.9.1nb3

In my limited experience, this device simply doesn't have enough RAM to function with NetBSD 4.0, even with very minimalist non-console tools (X, ion, 3 xterms). There might be some pruning of the running processes, but even with pretty much everything "off" it's still bumping up against the ceiling of the 32Mb. Though I did determine that ion is a wonderful window manager for a small touchscreen such as the 780 has!

Regards,
Ben

jscottkasten%yahoo.com@localhost wrote:
I've been using the MP880 with NetBSD 4.0 for about a year now as a home brew
netbook.

If anyone is interested, I have approximately 200 binary packages built from
PKGSRC 2007Q4.  This includes languages such as perl, python, ruby, etc.
Editors such as nano and vim-gtk2.  Web browsing with javascript enabled
elinks, and dillo.  And some multimedia stuff such as mplayer.

With the right encoding parameters, one can have an MP4 video playing in the
corner of the screen while typing an email in an xterm.

The developers have truly done some wonderful work on the 880 support as it is
a very functional and reliable little beast.

Cheers,

-S-

--

Benjamin Hodgens