Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Using NetBSD on a z50

I recently got an Asus EeePC, which is just about the same size as an H/PC, but has an x86 processor and is not "kid-specific" like the OLPC.  If you need a small x86 machine, I'd recommend it.

-Elijah

On Jan 29, 2008 8:31 AM, Forest Bond <forest%alittletooquiet.net@localhost> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:18:09AM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 01/27 11:17 , Scott Lawrence wrote:
> > The power button seems to put it to sleep, but the backlight remains on.  Is
> > this normal?  Or is there a more correct way to put it to sleep during
> > travel.
>
> this is normal. It's a limitation of the z50 hardware. Only Wince can fully
> suspend it properly, because (as I vaguely remember) the power button sends
> a hardware interrupt or something that jumps to a specific point on the ROM,
> which is Wince. So in order to get this working properly, you'd have to
> replace the ROM. (At which point, it becomes attractive to go look at a new
> laptop... OLPC is almost as small, and is an x86 box).
>
> I really miss the keyboard on my z50 tho... best laptop keyboard I ever had.

Yeah, the OLPC laptop is decidedly kid specific.  I can't touch type on the
thing at all.  My son loves it, though.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond