Port-hpcarm archive

Re: CF cards

On 26 Nov 2008, at 21:09, Alexander Frolkin wrote:

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:16:06PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 20:58:23 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
The former, I think. I saw the same issues until I switched to a sandisk
card. Some CF cards are more equal than others, it seems.
I once bought a 1GB Kingston CF card that my LOOX 720 (with WinCE)
just refused to recognize at all.

So how long does a typical CF card last when used in such a way?  I'm
expecting my cheap Kingston to die in the near future (but I might be
wrong) and I'm wondering whether it's worth spending the extra money
on an industrial grade CF card.

Older cards - from the 8-16Mbyte era - will simply die when left in RW without noatime mounts within a few weeks (www.wirelessleiden.nl). I've not seen differences between brand - but submit that virtually all have a tiny 'sandisk' marker on them in the plastic itself - regardless of actual brand on the sticker. The number of writes (e.g. in /tmp) according to io/stat is in the high 10k's; low 100k's.

My experience with the 48Mb cards is more mixed; and I am not seeing a pattern. Some die; some are still fine. I've now got several 1Gb cards of various random brands bought in 2004-2005 which seem to survive many 100's of kWrites without much ado - some in the 10's of M's now. And with that - their failure in my situation is just as likely from the weather, mechanical/temperatuer stress, rust, etc - as those are outdoor units.

Thanks,

Dw