Port-hpcarm archive

Re: CF cards

The brand doesn't tell everything about the card. Some years ago I bought
two 1GB Kingston cards. The other one worked fine, while the other card
happened to be a THNCF-labelled card. It had issues with the then recent
version of softintr. Can't remember the details, but you'll surely find those in the mail archive.

But when it comes to your actual question, I'm still using both of those cards.
Hard to say anything about the amount of write cycles I've had, but atleast
three years of intensive use and another two years of not so intensive use.

The good thing with Kingston is that they give (or atleast they used to give)
lifetime warranty. But the warranty won't cover your lost data, so backups
are preferred...

-Otto

Alexander Frolkin [avf%eldamar.org.uk@localhost] wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:16:06PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 20:58:23 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> > The former, I think. I saw the same issues until I switched to a sandisk
> > card. Some CF cards are more equal than others, it seems.
> I once bought a 1GB Kingston CF card that my LOOX 720 (with WinCE)
> just refused to recognize at all.

So how long does a typical CF card last when used in such a way?  I'm
expecting my cheap Kingston to die in the near future (but I might be
wrong) and I'm wondering whether it's worth spending the extra money
on an industrial grade CF card.

I've had a Dane-Elec CF card die in a WRAP board, and I've since been
using microdrives instead of flash.  But of course, the Jornada 720
doesn't take microdrives.

Alex

--
  -----< avf%eldamar.org.uk@localhost >-----< http://www.eldamar.org.uk/ >-----