Re: Rescue CD 20081015...WORKS!

A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Izumi Tsutsui
> nimitz%nimitzbrood.com@localhost wrote:
>
>> And I've had to use it twice tonight.  Once because the 4.99.72 09/12
>> restore CD would not let me telnet to the box.
>
> Ah, sorry, -current /etc/services file becomes so large
> so I replaced it with the shrinked installer version to avoid
> /var overflow, but it didn't have login and telnet entries.
>
> Please use 20081008 version instead. It has misc other fixes,
> including MI kernel bugs.

Oops.  Okay then I'll do the re-load shuffle again tonight.  The box is in
a good place to test with at the moment.

>> So it's a definite workable solution. :-)
>
> Yeah, good to hear :-)
>
> Now I'm working on 4.0.1 restorecd (with some patches for 2700
> and multi-function PCI devices), but now I wonder if we should
> merge the traditional restorecd and the the "rescue" one which
> provides only remote login access.
>
> Both CD could have almost the same contents and the only
> difference is invoking the installation script or not.
>
> Is it worth if the installation script will be started by
> paneld menu, or something else?  I'm afraid ordinary users
> won't bother to login to invoke the install script.

Paneld menu would be best if you don't want users to login.  Frankly I
don't think it's an issue though as most people using Cobalts and NetBSD
have half a clue.

How about this?  Have the panel give an Install? prompt for about 15
seconds then default to the rescue profile if no button is pressed.  Would
that work?

--
Mike Hebel

                -- Dr. Who