NetBSD/atari Xserver (Was: pushing netbsd-5)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, T. Makinen wrote:

I've updated NetBSD/atari page about recent fixes and changes. Maybe we
should do another announcement when RC1 is available :)

        Looks good.

        On another topic - it looks like a working Xserver would
        be quite a compelling factor for NetBSD/atari users.

        1.6.1 was the last NetBSD release which shipped with an
        Xserver, (XF68_FBDev from X11R6.3), which was never ported
        forward:

        ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-archive/NetBSD-1.6.1/atari/binary/sets/

        XF68_FBDev is a 'raw' framebuffer driver. The two options
        would be to port it forward to the latest xorg, or adjust
        the atari grf device to we wsdisplay compatible so it could
        run the generic wsdisplay Xserver.

        David/Tuomo - have you tried running the 1.6.1 Xserver on
        a NetBSD-5.0 install? It should be possible to:
        - perform a clean NetBSD 5.0 install including the X sets
        - Install pkgsrc/emulators/compat16
        - download the 1.6.1 sets and extract ./usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev
          from xserver.tgz only and try running it

        :)