Re: pushing netbsd-5 (Was: bootloader)

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Izumi Tsutsui
<tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
> Tuomo wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 1:04 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
>> wrote:
> Note i386 used "nblaptop" and "nbnoacpi" on install CD
> because our bootloader doesn't support Rock Ridge extension.
>
> BTW, anyone takes a look at install notes? ;-)
>
> ---
>    netbsd-ATARITT.gz
>        A kernel specifically tuned for the Atari TT030.
>    netbsd-BOOT.gz
>        A kernel for both the Falcon and TT030. It is kept pretty small,
>        so you can use it to boot the system for installation on
>        memory-tight systems. This is the kernel supplied on the
>        boot.fs floppy.
>    netbsd-BOOTX.gz
>        Same as the BOOT kernel, but it has slightly more features.
>        You can run X11 with it.
>    netbsd-FALCON.gz
>        A kernel specifically tuned for the Atari Falcon.
>    netbsd-HADES.gz
>        A kernel specifically tuned for the Hades.
>    netbsd-MILAN-ISAIDE.gz
>        A kernel specifically tuned for the MILAN using IDE in ISA mode.
>    netbsd-MILAN-PCIIDE.gz
>        A kernel specifically tuned for the MILAN using IDE in PCI mode.
> ---
>
> Most other ports have single GENERIC kernel which covers
> all supported machine variants.
>
> If there are some machines whose quirks can't be handled at run time
> or there are some essencial difference (like kernel loaded address),
> we could have separate semi-GENERIC kernel for such machines
> as GENERIC and GENERIC3X on sun3.
>
> In atari case, MILAN kernels have options _MILANHW_
> and they seems to require separate kernels.
>
> I'm not sure about HADES, but its PCI (and hdfd) could
> be problematic on TT030 or Falcon.
>
> Obviously ATARITT and FALCON can share single GENERIC.
>
> BOOT is used for installation, so it looks we should add
> options M68060 to it because there is not so much code for 060.
> (though I'm not sure how M060SP is big)
>
> Note sysinst doesn't have menu items for ATARITT and FALCON kernels.
> http://cvsweb.NetBSD.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/arch/atari/md.h?rev=1.18
> Should we have them or not?

I guess it's better to have them aboard that not :) Another issue with
sysinst is when user wants to install sets from unmounted fs; installer by
default doesn't use -G flag when it mounts filesystem. To make it work
filesystem field must specified like "msdos -o -G" or filesystem should
be mounted before extraction of sets starts and "local filesystem" method
should be used; at least this must be documented.

>> BOOTX is smaller and does not use RELOC_KERNEL. I'm not sure
>> how well FALCON or ATARITT kernel works with 4MB machine ?
>
> It looks BOOTX should have RELOC_KERNEL and renamed to GENERIC_FOO.

Whatever we do, maybe we should keep one kernel without RELOC_KERNEL
because there's comment in atari/atari_init.c in line 151 saying that
RELOC_KERNEL does not work on all TT's.

-Tuomo