Re: Orange Pi 5 Plus

On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 14:53:29 -0500
Ted Spradley <tsprad%talent-free-studios.com@localhost> wrote:

> I've recently acquired an Orange Pi 5 Plus (32GB RAM, 256 GB eMMC, 1TB
> M280 SSD). I have Debian running on it now, but I'd really prefer
> NetBSD.
>
> I found https://github.com/edk2-porting/edk2-rk3588?tab=readme-ov-file
> which claims to support NetBSD, but I haven't yet got it to work for me.
>
> I'd be grateful for advice, and I'd be happy to test stuff and try to
> help debug, if anyone is working on this.

It should work in UEFI mode. Haven't tried recently but it did boot
with -current around December last year.
Do you have the UEFI firmware linked above flashed to the SPI chip
according to their instructions and Debian installed from a stock
netinst iso? If so, just copy the EFI loader[1] onto Debian's ESP
partition and add a boot entry for it in the firmware menu. If you see
a NetBSD boot splash screen when selecting it you can then dd the NetBSD
aarch64 iso onto a USB stick and try loading /netbsd from that and
you should be in the installer.

-Tobias

[1] https://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/202406292220Z/evbarm-aarch64/installation/misc/bootaa64.efi