Re: Information about GSOC project

Luca Uccella <lucauccella1%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> I am interested in "Porting Raspberry Pi graphics -- VC4 DRM driver
> (350h)”, are there any requirements for the project itself?

We already ran a GSoC project on this in 2022, we should have updated
the project list to reflect this.

One problem was that Raspberry Pi hardware was unavailable at the time
so I don't know how well the final code worked.

I should get a RPi 3B+ now that they are available to verify the status
of it and get the code into NetBSD.

There would be a possible followup project to port the DRM driver for
the RPi 4 to NetBSD, this would use the same display drivers as those
for earlier models of RPi but add another GPU driver.

> Besides that, is there any material to study from or support that can be
> given out during the development?

Only reading the source to the NetBSD and Linux kernels.

> I don’t have real project experience in kernel development so that’s
> something that I’m a bit afraid of but I wanted to learn it and improve
> my skills.

I think this project really needs some existing knowledge of kernel
development.

Robert Swindells