Re: Ethernet issue on NanoPi Neo

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 1:47 AM John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been running NetBSD for a while on various NanoPi NEO devices. For a
> long time, they weren't stable - they'd lock up for no straightforward
> reason after some hours or days and I couldn't get to the ddb, even on
> serial. Nowdays, they run perfectly for months, no matter the activity.
>
> https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=7203
>
> However, I have one issue: a non-trivial fraction of the time, emac0
> doesn't work at boot. For warm reboots, this is close to half the time
> that nothing comes in and nothing goes out. tcpdump shows nothing,
> ifconfig down and up does nothing. Trying to generate network activity
> doesn't even get the ethernet blinky light going.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on other things to try when the system is in
> this state? Or any thoughts about what might make emac0 properly
> initialize?

emac sometimes fails to reset, e.g. connected to
some particular hubs or cable is not connected.

> emac0: soft reset timed out
(Note: this is aprint_debug_dev message.)

If reset fails, emac does not work at all.

It seems comparison with OpenBSD's dev/fdt/if_dwxe.c tells me
NetBSD's sunxi_emac_attach does not reset chip, but does in if_init.