Re: Problem booting Orange Pi One on NetBSD 10.0_BETA

On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 11:42:57AM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> Ah, I see the Allwinner H5 is Cortex-A53, so 64 bit, too. The R1 plus has a
> RK3328, and lacks video (serial console, only). I tried a Rockchip64 image,
> but that errored out very early.
>
> Do the images on armbsd.org also need to be prepended with an u-boot image?

No, they are copies of the generic image from the official release or
the daily build with basically installboot having been run.

> > If there is a pkgsrc u-boot pkg for a SoC it comes with machine readable
> > instructions for "installboot" to place the boot loader binary at the proper
> > place of the SD card image.
>
> And if there isn't, where do you start?

Docs for the SoC and/or finding a working u-boot. The u-boot usually comes
with some docs where it should be dd-to (and what other binary bootstrap
parts it needs).

> > After that you are in u-boot and you load the binary device tree (dtb)
> > and the NetBSD kernel from a FAT partition,
>
> The dtb tree appears to have everything but the kitchen sink. How do I pick
> the right one, and how to I add one if it isn't there yet? I found an
> "rk3328-orangepi-r1-plus.dts" in linuxland, now what do I do with it? Too
> much cargo-culting...

The name of the fdt file is found in the default environment of the u-boot
for the board. Once you have u-boot working you need to check the environment,
get the proper dtb file and put it in the path as the environment var
says.

Martin