Re: Problem booting Orange Pi One on NetBSD 10.0_BETA

>> Is there a "from zero" text anywhere on how these systems boot, how
>> to set them up [...]

> The problem is that the low level booting is different per SoC.  If
> there is a pkgsrc u-boot pkg for a SoC it comes with machine readable
> instructions for "installboot" to place the boot loader binary at the
> proper place of the SD card image.

I didn't write the text double-quoted above, but I easily could have,
especially if I had such a machine.

Speaking personally, I don't like unexplained binary blobs, and at my
current level of understanding that includes everything before the
kernel starts, especially u-boot and dtb.  (This is actually one reason
I haven't sought after any such machines.)

My questions would be things like: who creates these u-boots?  How?
Why the dtb paradigm instead of normal hardware probing by the kernel?
What, if anything, does u-boot do besides loading the dtb and loading
and starting the kernel?  (For that matter, why the term "u-boot"?)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign