Re: non-PCI driver name lookup

I wrote:
>On 2019-07-09 14:23, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:

>>> The 'unique' value ought to be fine, there is code in
>>> arm/sunxi/sunxi_drm.c to create it, but it never gets called.

>>> It does, and creation of the unique value should be done lazily from
>>> the DRM_IOCTL_SET_VERSION ioctl. This ioctl fails as the is_master
>>> member of the file struct for the drm device isn't set. Not got any
>>> further in tracking down why.
>>>

>> You might find the description here useful,
>> https://github.com/coypoop/drm/blob/maya-drm51/sys/external/bsd/drm2/dist/drm/drm_ioctl.c#L79-L99
>
>That doesn't match what libdrm is actually doing.

It might be better to say that libdrm when called from typical
applications isn't doing what is described in that comment.

I don't think that applications or higher level libraries should need to
work out whether they are connecting to a PCI graphics device or
something else and to call different libdrm functions to work with it.

I'm testing this with multimedia/libva-utils and multimedia/libva,
running 'vainfo' should be able to get back 'sunxi' as the name of
the DRI2 device in use on the pinebook, then fail because there isn't
yet a libva driver for it.